I used to despise the cold season – which is at least 8 months long in Seattle – until I bought some cute, comfy clothes. Now I look forward to bundling up and heading out for walks with the dogs.
Last year I shared my favorite winter clothes for walking Chester and Gretel in the winter. It was a popular post so I thought I would publish one for this year too. I still wear several items from my Favorite Winter 2013 Clothes for Dog Walking list but I added a few new things to my dog-walking wardrobe.
1. Tights are one of my favorite cold weather go-to items. These Tights from Smartwool are thin enough to fit under jeans and warm enough to pair with a skirt. Smartwool products are, well, wool but aren’t itchy and can be machine washed. The Falling Fable tights also come in brown, black and grey.
2. Speaking of skirts, the Bionic Skirt from Title Nine looks cute paired with tights or leggings. It has a weather-beating exterior that repels rain, snow and muddy dog paws. The bonded fleece interior makes it cozy warm. The Bionic Skirt also available in red.
3. I want to live in the Thermalete+ Tight from Title Nine all winter. They have soft fleece on the inside to cuddle your legs in the cold and have a a dense, wind-shedding exterior. Mud doesn’t stick to these like cotton tights and they stay warm even when damp. I am seriously considering buying a second pair.
Tops & Jackets
4. The Siren Cami from Icebreaker is like Frank’s RedHot Sauce – I put that Sh*t under everything. Seriously, I go almost nowhere in the winter without this cami underneath. It’s made of non-itchy wool that does have texture to it but I like the feel. Putting this under a shirt turns a summer shirt into winter shirt and makes winter shirts warmer. The best thing about merino wool is that it doesn’t get smelly. The Siren Cami also comes in black, pink, violet, and light green.
5. The OD Long Sleeve T from Ibex is a wool shirt that is comfy and really warm for how light it is. I own it in three different colors so I am practically living in this shirt all winter. Again, the wool doesn’t get smelly, and the shirt dries fast. That means I can wear it as long underwear during a hike or brisk walk, sweat in it, and then wear it out to dinner without offending my friends or strangers. The OD Long Sleeve T also comes in violet, green and a dark blue-green.
6. The MerinoLOFT Helix Zip jacket from Icebreaker uses wool fill to make a jacket that breathes better than synthetic fill (so you don’t feel clammy) and avoids the “puffy” look you get with down jackets. The wool fill is like synthetic fiber in that it stays warm when wet and can be machine washed. The outer shell of the jacket is made with recycled polyester and is water-resistant. I love this light blue/lime green combo but the MerinoLOFT Helix Zip jacket also comes in violet-pink, bright green, and black.
7. This sweatshirt is unlike any other. The Surpass Jacket from Title Nine is longer than most, softer than most, and has cute pleats on the back hem that flatter better than most. The jacket is made by Pink Lotus for Title Nine. Pink Lotus designs clothes for yoga – and many other activities – that are perfect for a workout at the gym, running around town, or hanging out at the dog park (I added that last part myself). I didn’t realize it was a deconstructed-style garment (you can see raw seams) when I ordered it so I almost sent it back….until I tried it on! This is one of my favorite sweatshirts ever.
Shoes & Accessories
8. I like cute boots but function trumps fashion for me. The Slimboot by Sorel does a good job of combining the two. Sorel, which makes rain and snow boots, managed to create this thin waterproof boot that looks super stylish. It fits more like a rain boot with lots of room in the foot for comfort and a thick pair of warm socks. There is a zipper on the inside of the ankle to make it easier to get on and the shaft is wide enough to fit a 16″ calf. I have worn this boot several times slushing around in the snow, and splashing around in the rain, and my feet only got damp once. I won’t have these boots next year because I’ll be wearing them out this year.
9. For winter walking days when I mean business, my footwear of choice is the award-winning Gel Cumulus 16 GT-X by Asics. The shoe features a breathable, waterproof GORE-TEX upper and a “Snow Rubber Outsole” for added traction ice and snow. I have owned numerous pairs of Asics shoes over the last 10 years. They support my medium to high arches well and fit my foot a glove.
10. I don’t carry a poop bag carrier when I am out and about. I carry a poop purse! Seriously, I have a special roomy purse that will hold my phone, wallet, doggy treats, gloves….and full poop bags. It’s easier than trying to juggle two leashes and two squishy bags of crap and less annoying than having them dangle off the leashes in a little pouch. The Vibe Crossbody Bag from Sherpani is my favorite this year. Among tons of other features, it has 8 pockets and internal organizer. the Vibe Bag also comes in light brown, plum (the purple on the flap here), and black.
11. I find that hats make me overheat when walking and hiking. The Reversible Pattern Headband from Smartwool is perfect for keeping my ears warm while letting excess heat escape. I featured this headband last year but wanted to feature it again with the new pattern. The headband also comes in blue and a striped version.
12. The Fuzzy Wuzzy Glove by Marmot is perfect for extra chilly days. They’re lined with fleece that’s so cozy I don’t want to take my hands out. They fit snug enough that I have the dexterity needed to hold onto leashes, adjust the dog jackets, and zip up a rain jacket. The outside of the glove is made of the water and wind resistant Marmot M2 softshell fabric.
13. A lot of our walks end up being in the dark this time of year. I want to make myself as visible as possible when crossing the street. The water-resistant Headgasket Performance Headband by Nathan Sports (affiliate link) features LIGHTWAVE™ front white and rear red LED lights that provide up to 2400 feet of visibility (the lights are USB rechargeable). The Headgasket Headband also comes in pink.
Check out the entire collection of Adventurous Dog Parent Clothing and Gear on Pinterest
Follow YouDidWhatWithYourWiener’s board Adventurous Dog Parent Clothing & Gear on Pinterest.