I wanted to title this post “how to appear that you didn’t procrastinate until the last minute gift guide”. I did start my Christmas shopping before today but, here we are, 3 days before Christmas and I still have half of my shopping to do. I order several gifts online each year but the “shipping before Christmas” window has closed in most cases. Don’t worry, here are soft last minute holiday gift ideas that will help you save face with your doggy friend’s parents (or your own dog).
1) Classic Personalized Leather Dog Collar from Mimi Green – These collars are made of thick, beveled, full grain English bridle leather. They feature a nickel-plated or brass-plated side release buckle engraved with the pet’s information. The integrated buckle puts an end to jangly tags or tags that get caught on carpet or bushes when hiking. Check out how nice this collar looks on Gretel. Because the buckles can be personalized you couldn’t have actually ordered one yourself so slip an image of the collars with an IOU inside a card. Cost: $45.
2) GREEN Mini Feeder from The Company of Animals – The GREEN Mini, designed to look like a tuft of grass, turns your dog’s meal into a challenging game. Simply scatter the desired amount of kibble or treats in there and it’s up to your dog to push the food out between the many blades of grass. I have tried many slow feeders with Gretel and this one slows her down the most. If you order this by tomorrow from Amazon, and pay for overnight shipping, it will arrive on Christmas Day. Many boutique pet stores carry these too. If you live in Seattle, I have seen them sold at All the Best Pet Care. Cost: $30.
3) Fruitables Vanilla Snowflake Flavor treats – The video above pretty much says it all about these treats. How fun, right? Chester and Gretel love them. I saw then for for under $5 just the other day at PetSmart. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them at a local, boutique pet store too.
4) Blanket ID Tag or Sparkle Collar from Blanket ID – Blanket ID tags are not your regular ID tag. They feature beautiful designs on one side and a serial number on the other side. This serial number is attached to a comprehensive pet profile online so anyone who finds your lost pet can have access to several contacts, photos and be aware of any health conditions your pet may have. The Sparkle Collars, modeled after the original Blanket ID Lounge Collar (also available), add class and sophistication when your pet is at home relaxing. Order a gift card for your friend and an electronic copy will be emailed to you so you can print it and put it inside a card. the gift cards are good for anything in the Blanket ID store and come with an extra year to the Blanket ID membership if your friend chooses to buy a tag. Cost” $25 and $60
5) Kong Holiday Reindeer Dog Toy – Drive your dog wild this holiday season with the KONG Holiday X-Small Reindeer. The reindeer is soft, yet durable and features minimal stuffing and a squeaker. These are available in-store at PetSmart. They are only appropriate for small dogs but the little toys in this series (there is also a teddy bear, duckie, and frog if the holiday version is sold out) are Gretel’s absolute favorite. She is obsessed! Cost: $6 (probably less now since most holiday stuff is on sale at this point).
Don’t forget that giving an experience is also a great gift. What any dog wants most is to spend a day with their owner. We haven’t been able to get out of the house much lately so I am going to take Chester and Gretel out for a Christmas hike. Gift certificates to a dog-friendly winery or brewery is always a fun gift for friends.
Good luck with your shopping and have a great holiday!