We have said how lucky we feel we are to have found Gretel. We wanted to share a little about the people who brought her to us, Motley Zoo Animal Rescue, because we think they are great.
As a young, fresh organization they are already revolutionizing the rescue scene. They go beyond everything a traditional rescue does. Besides saving the lives of animals in need and fixing them up, they also provide the training and instruction they will need to become the best pet for you. Motley Zoo strives to be the revolution of rescue, rehabilitation and education!
When I talked with them about Gretel’s history they said the original owners wanted to surrender her because she was “more than they signed up for”. Motley Zoo tried to provide that family with advice and training so they could work with Gretel and keep her in their home. In the end, they did decide to surrender her (we absolutely can’t imagine who could have given up that sweet little face!) but that was just the beginning of Motley Zoo’s dedication to Gretel.
They carefully selected the best home for her out of several applications (Yay us! We “won” 🙂 ). After she came to our home they continued to work with us on getting her adjusted to her new family – answering any and every question I had and providing training tips that had worked for her while she was with them.
Motley Zoo is not a brick and mortar rescue and they rely solely on foster volunteers. They have about 30 pets (cats and dogs) in foster care at any given time, but that can vary based on the availability of temporary homes. They primarily exist to support the shelters but their animals come from all different situations, including owner surrenders.
A big reason owners surrender small dogs are because of minor behavior issues such as mild food guarding, leash issues, or excessive barking. It’s sad but they often see development of such behavior as an unintentional result of an owner’s lack of discipline. People tend to treat small dogs differently than big ones. Owners help them develop these behavioral issues by not setting the bar high enough for what the dogs are really capable of. Little dogs should be expected to take treats nicely, sit and behave as if they were an 80lb dog.
Motley Zoo takes in pure bred dachshunds relatively frequently. They said doxies have been some of their most memorable dogs in rescue – they always have amazing personalities and goof ball antics, plus they are pretty darn cute.
I continue to stay in touch with them to let them how Gretel is doing and celebrate her successes. Motley Zoo has said “we are THRILLED to see what Gretel has accomplished with your help and the guidance of Chester! Kudos on doing a great job, and being a wonderful Adventurewiener mom :)”
As with any rescue, they struggle with meeting the needs of the animals. These are some ways you can help:
- Adopt. Animals are available for adoption locally and nationally. They do ask that all potential adopters meet the animals first, to further ensure a proper match. If you are interested in adopting visit their Petfinder page.
- Become a foster. They always need foster families- even a family that will give it a try just once. They say is not as hard as you think. Check out their Q & A page for more information
- Volunteer to help at events and behind the scenes
- Donate. They are currently raising $10,000 for several pending knee surgeries for dogs.
- Donate a running vehicle. They car they use for the animals recently her car died. Very little can be accomplished without a vehicle. If you have a running vehicle you would be interested in donating you can contact them at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Simply spread the word about rescuing and adopting- which is ultimately the easiest way anyone can help their cause.
We are participating the the Saturday Pet Blogger Hop so while you are surfing away, why don’t you use the “Click here” link to hop on over to some other great pet blogs.
If you are a blogger yourself, you can add your blog to the hop by clicking the image below for the rules then using “click here” below to add your link to the list.
Powered by Linky Tools
Click here to enter your link and view this Linky Tools list…