A couple of weeks ago I shared with you what I carry in my day hiking backpack when we go on an adventure with the dogs. Then I held a contest to give some of that stuff away (the winner was Kate Volz – congrats to her!).
I got a lot of questions about the items in my backpack. Specifically, a lot of you wanted to know where to get them. (If you are not curious, this post might be a little dry…so skip to the bottom to watch a cute picture of Chester and Gretel hiking)
I am happy to oblige so, leaving out the obvious stuff like water, poop bags and a handkerchief, here are the specific items again and where to get them (be sure to see my previous post to get the full list of everything I bring).
Here is a little more info on the things INSIDE my backpack, including where to get them.
- Small First Aid Kit – The REI Day Pack First-Aid Kit was the one in the photo. I am currently not carrying any extra first aid supplies for the dogs on day hikes.
- Ultra-light Flash 18 pack (for carrying a small dog out of the woods in an emergency)
- Headlamp (in case you get stuck out after dark). I can’t find the one I have but the Petzl Pixa 3 Pro Headlamp is pretty close.
- Collapsible Silicone Dish – Dexas Popware for Pets Travel Cup. I love this one because the silicone is stuff enough that it continues to collapse easily after 100s of uses.
- Water flavoring (to encourage the dogs to drink – added to the water before we leave) – K9 GoDog Sports Drink for Dogs is Chester and Gretel’s favorite. We recently started using Drool Fuel but they don’t like it as much.
- Cell Phone – Samsung Galaxy S4. I mention this just because I sometimes take pictures on the trail with it and the quality of the photo is awesome.
- Camera – Panasonic LUMIX DMC-ZS19. Again, listed because some people ask me what camera I use. Occasionally I use a DSLR but this camera seems to do 80% of what a bulky DSLR camera does.
Let me know if you have any other questions about our gear or preparing for a hike with your dog.
And now for a gratuitous video of Chester and Gretel gobbling a banana on a hike