Christmas is fast approaching. I thought I would share my top gift picks for the active dog. We own and use all of these items ourselves and highly recommend them.
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links, which means that if you click on a product link, that I get a few extra pennies if you buy something (at no extra cost to you). As always, I only recommend products I trust! In legalease… I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Updated: October 14, 2018
Gifts for Dogs Under $20
1. Zuke’s Power Bones (left) or Skinny Bakes (right) – Zuke’s has been making treats for active dogs for over 10 years. Their first treat, Power Bones, was invented with human power bars in mind. They provide the added energy a dog needs to conquer big mountains. For those pooches trying to watch their waistline, or for non-hiking days, go with the 10-calorie, crunchy Skinny Bakes. Both come in several different doggie-mouth-watering flavors.
2. NiteIze PetLit (left) or SpotLit (right) – I’s important for an adventurous dog to maintain their fitness with daily walks. Walking in the winter often means walking in the dark, which can be dangerous for your dog if you cannot be clearly seen. These bright LED lights clip onto your pet’s collar or harness and will help keep them visible. The PetLit is about the size of a dime, turns on with a simple twist, and comes in several designs (including the cute fire hydrant or paw print design). The PetLit great for small or dogs with short hair (it might get lost in their fur). For bigger dogs, or dogs with long fur, the SpotLit is better. It is a bit bigger than a quarter, turns on with a simple click, has a steady or flashing mode, and comes in a variety of colors. Both have integrated clips, are weather resistant, and have replaceable batteries.
3. Dexas Popware for Pets Travel Cup (left) – Keeping active dogs hydrated on the trail or on the road is very important. These collapsible, silicone cups easily fold flat. They can be tucked into a backpack or purse or attached to a leash or backpack using the included carabiner. They come in two sizes, three colors and are diswasher safe.
4. Musher’s Secret Paw Balm (right) – Winter ice and salts can dry out, irritate or crack your dog’s paws. This dense barrier wax forms a breathable bond with your dog’s paws to protect them from salt, deicer chemicals and ice/snowballs. Although this balm was created for sled dogs to use in the winter, it also protects against sand, hot pavement and rough surfaces in the summer. It’s made with 100% natural (food grade) waxes and won’t harm your pets if they lick it.
5. Rubit Dog Tag Clip (left) – Active dogs often have collars and harnesses for different purposes. It can be a pain to move your pet’s tags from one to the other. The Rubit clip makes it easy (no more pinched fingers or chipped finger nails) because the tags attach to the clip and the clip can be moved with one quick snap. They come in three sizes and several different colors and designs.
6. Westpaw Ruff-N-Tuff and Tiny Tuff Reindeer (right) – These dog toys are great gifts for dogs who love some serious ruff and tumble fun. Like any dog squeakie toy, they may eventually meet their demise. However, the consensus is that these can last longer than many. They feature the Westpaw signature recycled fiber fill and a robust sewn in squeaker.
Gifts for Dogs Over $20
7. DogTread K9FITbone (left) – Even dogs need to work on keeping their core strong. It can help protect their spines, help with balance and give them extra power on the trail. This doggie balance “ball” is functional and the bone shape is fun. Just 5 minutes a day will improve your dog’s fitness and you can decrease or increase the challenge by adjusting the volume of air. It comes in light green too.
8. Soggy Doggy Doormat (right) – This doormat is really absorbent and is great for catching mud and dirt on your dog’s paws before they reach your carpet. It’s very stylish and perfect for a doorway or mudroom. It has a non-slip backing, is machine washable, and comes in two sizes and three colors. There is also a smaller Slopmat for under your dog’s bowl.
9. Ruffwear Highlands Bed (right) – This lighweight, packable, and abrasion resistant travel dog bed offers a thin, warm cushion for your dog to lay on. It’s great pad for your dog to lay on around camp, to protect your dog’s paws when you take a break in the snow, and is nice for your dog to lay on under the table at dog-friendly restaurants. This bed only weights 14 oz, packs into an included stuff sack and is machine washable. There is also a dog sleeping bag version of the bed.
10. Animal Naturals K9 GoDog Sports Drink for Dogs (right) – Very active dogs need more than just water to stay hydrated and comfortable. Like humans, they need an extra boots to increase oxygen delivery to their muscles, help prevent lactic acid buildup, improve mental focus, and help with recovery. K9 GoDog is gluten-free and has a taste that dog’s love.