I’ve never been to a dog show before. I went to rabbit shows with my Mom when I was a kid so I understand what a “fancier lifestyle” is somewhat though.
I saw that the Seattle Kennel Club Dog Show was happening March 8th and 9th and I contacted the Media Director in hopes of getting a press pass for the event. I had actually forgotten about it but a week ago I got confirmation that one would be granted for me.
I attended the second day of the show (I had a class final Saturday) and got there first thing in the morning so I could watch the Dachshunds.
I learned 6 things while I was at the show:
- I have not heard the words “bitch” and “wiener” so much in one day
- My favorite group is the hound group
- Some people go to a dog show to “shop” for a breed. The want to see and learn about breeds from “experts”.
- On that note, dog owners don’t look at you like you are stupid when you ask a lot of naive questions about their breed.
- There is a whole lot of bad hair (people)
- I don’t care if you bought your dog from a “reputable breeder” (ie. someone who breeds show/competition/working dogs with careful consideration and in the interest of bettering the breed). If you want a show/competition/working dog, that is your prerogative. If you want a great looking “pet quality” dog from a breeder, that is your business too (although I always recommend people check out rescues before making a final decision).
I kind of expected to see a lot of advertisement banners from the likes of Purina and Eukanuba when I got there but advertisements were mostly absent. There were some vendor booths there selling stuff and giving out samples. There were some dog food booths there but they were mid-to higher brands like Wild Calling, Stella & Chewy’s, Addiction and Darwin’s Raw Food (local).
I spoke with a man, whom had the only dapple Dachshund at the show, and he said this was a pretty small show so it didn’t attract a lot of the big, national brands. I commented that I was surprised that there weren’t more Dachshunds at the show and he told me there is a huge show in Olympia, WA in the summer. The show is only for Dachshunds and he said hundreds show up. I am going to try and get a press pass for that one too!
I will share photos of some of my other favorite dogs later but here are some of the Dachshunds.