As you may have heard, we are now official co-hosts of K9 Kamp with Kol’s Notes and Peggy’s Pet Place. K9 Kamp, a fitness challenge aimed at fighting pet obesity, happens a couple of times year. However, we believe that canine fitness should be something you work on year-round. This is where Keeping Up With K9 Kamp comes in.
Keeping Up With K9 Kamp is a series of mini-challenges that take place each month that K9 Kamp is not in session. The mini-challenges will help you keep the goal of canine fitness fresh in your mind.
I will announce a mini-challenge on the fist Friday of each month and link that post to the Fit Dog Friday Blog Hop. There will be a wrap-up post on the last Friday of each month. You are encouraged to let us know how you did if you accept the Keeping Up With K9 Kamp Challenge.*
The August 2013 Challenge
It’s simple: Try one new activity with your dog this month.
In some areas of the country it is too hot to do much with your dog outside during the day right now. For those of you who live in one of those areas, try a new indoor activity. The people who live in more mild climates, get outside and try something new.
Here are some suggestions to get you thinking:
- Hiking (to make sure you are prepared, see what I bring hiking with us)
- K9 Nosework (it’s like hide and seek for your dog)
- Agility (indoors or outdoors – balance ball, jump over something, ramps, lateral training)
- Running (start a Couch to 5k program)
- Geocaching (join Gizmo and Finn during their Geocaching challenge. It starts now and ends on Geocahing Day on August 16th. Check out their instructions on how to get started.)
- Kayaking (if you don’t own one, some rental places will let you bring your dog out on the water with you)
- Swimming (outdoor or some places have an indoor pool for dogs)
- Walking a brand-new route (yes, even this counts as a “new activity”.. Thanks to Slimdoggy for the suggestion)
The August challenge runs from Friday, August 2nd to Friday, August 30th. Any time during the month, try your new activity, write a blog post about it, and link it up to the Fit Friday Blog Hop. If you don’t have your own blog, please let us know how you did by leaving a comment on our final wrap-up post on Friday, August 30th.
The idea of K9 Kamp and these mini-challnges is to work toward a common goal and offer each other support. Please tweet and post photos using the hashtag #K9Kamp throughout the month so we can keep in touch and see what fitness means to you.