I first heard of the Idita-Walk from Bunny at Tales and Tails. It was a perfect follow-up to the 30/30 challenge for us so we signed up this year.
We liked organizing the 30/30 Challenge so much that we thought it would be cool to band a group of us together for this challenge too (actually, it was Beth Gizmo at Terrier Torrent suggested we do it and I just accepted). As with the 30/30 challenge, it’s a great motivator to continue to stay active with your dog and improve your heath/fitness during the dreary winter months if you don’t feel like you are doing it alone.
This challenge is great too because you can go at your own pace. The goal is to walk 1049 minutes between February 1, 2013 and March 31, 2013. You can choose your own combination of dates and times to complete the 1049 minutes.
It’s only $10 to sign up for the walk. All proceeds go to Camp Bronson maintenance, scholarships, and Nome youth-related programs in Alaska and all paid registrants receive a collectible Idita-Walk 2013 lapel pin.
I made up a team name for our “team”. I am calling us the Dogventurers.
If you are joining our team, I think it would be fun to check in with each other from time to time. I plan to write our own update at the end of the month – February 28th and March 31st – and post it here. There are two ways you can let your other teammates know how the walk is going for you.
- Leave a comment below letting us know you will be signing up for the walk and joining our team.
- Visit our blog on February 28th and March 31st and leave an update in our comment thread below the post.
- Leave a comment below letting us know you will be signing up for the walk and joining our team. I know that these bloggers have already signed up for the walk: Gizmo and his Mom from Terrier Torrent, Bunny and her Mom from Tales and Tails, Loy and Y from Loy Turns 60, Emma and her Mom from MyGBGVLife. I am not guilting you into joining our team but would love it if you would.
- Visit our blog on February 28th and March 31st and read our update. At the bottom of the post you will find a special linky where you can link up your own update post (from your blog).
- Place this badge on your sidebar (copy and paste the code) <a href=”http://
youdidwhatwithyourweiner.com/ idita-walk-team-dogventurers/” target=”_blank”><img src=”http://i1280.photobucket. com/albums/a493/GizmoGeodog/ TeamDogventurers_zps052e2a3e. jpg” border=”0″ alt=” TerrierTorrent”/></a>
- Optional: Create a ticker to track your progress and place it on your blog. I had ticker envy when I saw the one on Gizmo’s blog during the 30/30 challenge. Gizmo’s Mom was generous enough to share how she made it. If you want to create your own, follow the steps below.
- Visit this link: http://www.tickerfactory.com/ezticker/ticker_designer.php?type=8
- Choose your background and a dog icon
- Set the units for minutes and enter 1049 minutes for your goal
- Get the code and place the ticker on your sidebar or somewhere else on your blog (I know I can do it using a widget in WordPress)
- Update your progress on the ticker by entering your pin, changing the number of minutes and clicking next. A new image/code will be generated that you can copy and paste to replace the other one with (I don’t think it automatically updates the ticker already on your blog).
We look forward to walking with you!