I often write about the fun we have with the Dachshund club I started – Adventurewiener Club of Seattle. We go on hikes, meet up at local dog parks, camp and visit fun dog-friendly destinations.
Being a part of this group promotes exercise and physical fitness for Dachshunds as well as provides socialization opportunities and mental stimulation….all which are very important factors in keeping both you and your dog active, healthy and fit.
Almost every time I write about our group, someone laments “I wish there was a group like that around here”.
I tell those people they should check the site Meetup.com or Facebook to see if there IS a dog group near them.
If there isn’t, my suggestion is they start their own. That is what I did.
The Adventurewiener Club of Seattle is something I started because the kind of group I wanted to be a part of didn’t exist (there ARE one or two other Dachshund groups in the area but they don’t hike).
Meetup.com is a really cool site. You can start a group anywhere about anything that strikes your fancy.
There IS an annual fee to be a creator or a group. Some people (like me) just pay this fee and others charge members of the group a small annual fee to cover the cost.
It’s easy and free to start a group on Facebook.
If you don’t want to start a group yourself, you can find a local group of interest and contact the organizer to see if you can be an assistant organizer. Often there are groups that were started but then the organizer got to busy.
Sometimes their are no upcoming meetups planned with this group or perhaps there is only one event scheduled a month. Either way, you may be the key to making this club more active and dynamic.
How to Find Dachshund Groups, Clubs, and Events in Your Area
It is easy to find dog groups on Meetup.com. There is a search bar one the home page (that you can use even if you are not a member – becoming a general member is free) where you can enter your location and a search radius.
It’s equally as easy to find a group on Facebook.
Again, all you have to do is type “Dachshund club”, “Dachshund group”, or just “Dachshund” into the search bar at the top and then click the “event” tab at the top (this may yield events but not necessarily groups).
You may also find a group by clicking “group” at the top but they won’t necessarily have in-dog meetups (this may yield groups but not necessarily face-to-face meetups)
One warning though: I find Meetup.com superior for finding Dachshund EVENTS.
When you find a group on Meetup, you know that their focus is getting people together.
The majority of groups on Facebook are not location specific, don’t hold actual events, many of them are for buying/selling/rescuing puppies, or are just to share funny pictures of Dachshunds. You have to sift through a lot of “junk” to find a group that actually plans get-together.
I suggest searching Meetup.com first and then turning to Facebook to check if you can’t find any Dachshund groups that hold events near you.
I did a quick search for Dachshund and general dog groups around the US. This is what I found.
Dachshund Meetup Groups
- Seattle, WA – Adventurewiener Club of Seattle and Western Washington (Meetup). You can also find them on Facebook.
- Olympia, WA – The Olympia Dachshund Meetup Group (Meetup)
- San Ramon, CA – The East Bay Dachshund Meetup Group (Meetup)
- San Diego, CA – San Diego Dachshund Club (Facebook)
- Sacramento, CA – The Sacramento Dachshund Meetup Group (Meetup)
- La Jolla, CA – San Diego Dachshunds (Meetup)
- Temecula, CA – The Temecula Valley Dachshund Club (TVDC) Meetup Group (Meetup)
- Denver, CO – Washington Park Weenies – Dachshund Meetup Group (Meetup)
- Tampa, FL — The Tampa/Clearwater Dachshund Meetup Group (Meetup)
- Sarasota, FL – The Sarasota Dachshund Meetup Group (Meetup)
- Atlanta, GA – MAD MUG Metro Atlanta Dachshund Meetup Group (Meetup)
- Buffalo, NY – Buffalo Dachshund Club (Meetup)
- San Antonio, TX – San Antonio Dachshund Lowriders (Meetup)
- Boston, MA – Boston Dachshund Meetup (Meetup)
- Omaha, NE – Dachshunds Anonymous (Meetup)
- Cincinnati, OH – Dachshund Club of Southwestern Ohio Meetup (Meetup)
- Tucson, AZ – Tucson Desert Dachshund Meetup (Meetup)
All-Breed Meetup Groups
- Seattle, WA – Seattle Active Dogs Meetup Group (Meetup)
- Portland, OR – Portland Dog Lovers Meetup Group (Meetup)
- Portland, OR – Portland BarkHappy Dogs Meetup (Meetup)
- Fresno, CA – Tiny Paws Fresno – small dog play group (Meetup)
- Austin, TX – Austin Dog People (Meetup)
- Greenville, SC – Greenville Dog Hiking Club (GDHC) (Meetup)
- Somerville, NJ – Dog Hikers of New Jersey (Meetup)
- Newburgh, NY – Hudson Valley Active Dogs (Meetup)
- Boston, MA – Fenway Small Breed Dog Meetup (Meetup)
This was just the tip of the iceberg. I highly encourage you to search for yourself if you didn’t see a club or meetup group near you.
Do you belong to any dog-related (or dog-friendly) Meetup Groups? How about any groups or clubs that are not organized by Meetup?
Please mention them in the comments to help other people reading this post discover new groups in their area.