I often write about the fun we have with the Adventureweiner Club of Seattle. We go on hikes, meet up at local dog parks, camp and visit fun dog-friendly destinations. Being a part of this group promotes exercise and physical fitness for Dachshunds as well as provides socialization opportunities and mental stimulation….all which are very important factors in keeping both you and your dog active, healthy and fit.
Almost every time I write about this group, someone laments “I wish there was a group like that around here”.
I tell those people they should check the site Meetup.com to see if there is a dog group near them. If there isn’t, my suggestion is they start their own. That is what I did. The Adventureweiner Club of Seattle is something I started because the kind of group I wanted to be a part of didn’t exist (there ARE one or two other Dachshund groups in the area but they don’t hike).
Meetup.com is a really cool site. You can start a group anywhere about anything that strikes your fancy. There IS an annual fee to be a creator or a group. Some people (like me) just pay this fee and others charge members of the group a small annual fee to cover the cost.
If you don’t want to start a group yourself, you can find a local group of interest and contact the organizer to see if you can be an assistant organizer. Often there are groups that were started but then the organizer got to busy. Sometimes their are no upcoming meetups planned with this group or perhaps there is only one event scheduled a month. Either way, you may be the key to making this club more active and dynamic.
It is easy to find groups on Meetup. There is a search bar one the home page (that you can use even if you are not a member – becoming a general member is free) where you can enter your location and a search radius.
I did a quick search for Dachshund and general dog groups around the country. This is what I found.
Dachshund Meetup Groups
- Henderson, NV – DARE – Dachshund Adventure and Rescue Enthusiasts
- Portland, OR – The Greater Portland Dachshund Group
- San Ramon, CA – The East Bay Dachshund Meetup Group
- Atlanta, GA – MAD MUG Metro Atlanta Dachshund Meetup Group
- Olympia, WA – The Olympia Dachshund Meetup Group
- Denver, CO – Washington Park Weenies – Dachshund Meetup Group
- Tampa, FL — The Tampa/Clearwater Dachshund Meetup Group
- Buffalo, NY – Buffalo Dachshund Club
- San Antonio, TX – San Antonio Dachshund Lowriders
- Boston, MA – Boston Dachshund Meetup
All-Breed Meetup Groups
- Seattle, WA – Seattle Active Dogs Meetup Group
- Portland, OR – Portland Dog Lovers Meetup Group
- Austin, TX – Austin Dog People
- Branchville, NJ – Sussex County Dog Walking Group
- Anchorage, AK – Havin’ A Dog Good Time
- Bedminster, NJ – Dog Hikers of Central and Northern New Jersey
- Honolulu, HI – Hiking Oahu With Dogs
- Milwaukee, WI – Community Barks Milwaukee Dog lovers Meetup
- Crystal Lake, IL – Northern Illinois Nature Hounds
- Kansas City, MO – Must Love Dogs Kansas City
This was just the tip of the iceberg. There were at least two or three times more groups than I listed here. I highly encourage you to search for yourself.
The search terms I used here were “dachshund” and “dog”, respectively. You can also search more specifically by using terms such as “dog park” and “socialization”. There are also several hiking groups that are not dog-specific but are dog friendly.
Do you belong to any dog-related (or dog-friendly) Meetup Groups? How about any groups or clubs that are not organized by Meetup? Please list them there to help other people reading this post discover new groups in there area.